2019 Joshua Expeditions / SBACS
Outstanding Musicians Online Application
The Joshua Expeditions Outstanding SBACS Musicians Award Program is a one-time scholarship payable to the college of the student’s choice and mailed in August 2017.
Criteria for Eligibility
All Outstanding Musicians (OM) applicants must meet the following criteria to be considered:
- Minimum non-weighted GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for Grades 9-12.
- College-bound high school senior who will graduate in May or June 2017 and who will enroll as a full-time student in a 4-year college or university in the Fall of 2019.
- A full-time student in an SBACS member school enrolled in the equivalent of four or more 1-hour credit courses during senior year.
- Eligible students are high school seniors who are highly involved in music, show a superior level of musical skill, and demonstrate an active faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Applicants may apply based on either vocal or instrumental expertise.
- Scholarship awards are based on the recommendation of music directors and teachers, a successful audition CD, and evidence of the student's Christian faith noted in the application form and biographical sketch submitted.
- Applicants may be of any race, national origin or either sex.
- Completed online application, letter of recommendation, and transcript must be postmarked to the Miramar office, listed at the bottom of this web page, by February 1, 2019.
- The audition should include three (3) total recordings: two (2) unedited movements or pieces representing different styles and one (1) chromatic scale.
- Selections should be chosen to demonstrate technical dexterity as well as expression and tone quality.
- Include a sacred piece of your choice.
- Include a chromatic scale that exhibits the range of your instrument or voice.
- If you are auditioning vocally, one of the numbers on the recording must be a piece considered acceptable at a state music contest; a second piece of contrasting tempo, style or language is preferred.
- If you are auditioning instrumentally, one of the numbers on the recording must be a solo from the solo/ensemble list in your state (if your state does not have a list, your director may suggest a comparable piece).
- If you are auditioning as a percussionist, you must audition on at least two contrasting instruments.
- Perform with high technical quality to allow the review committee to assess your performance accurately.
- The filename for each mp3 file should be labeled as follows: Last name, first initial, and file number (1-3). ie SmithJ1.mp3 SmithJ2.mp3 SmithJ3.mp3
- For judging purposes, you need to attach the musical score of the movements or pieces to the online application. So please have them converted to PDF format to prepare for upload.
- Download and complete the Audition Affidavit signed by you. You will upload it to the online application. The filename for should be labeled as follows: Last name, first initial, Audition Affidavit. ie SmithJ Audition Affidavit.pdf
Music Teacher/Director Recommendation Form